Friday, July 09, 2010

Gimme Three Steps....

I have no way of knowing if Coop knew about his 9-month check-up beforehand, but somehow he managed to sneak in 3 whole steps on his lonesome the day before.   It was just about the most shocking thing to happen round these parts.   He's been cruisin' around on the furniture and intermittently standing on his own for a good while now, but as we'd been reminded repeatedly over these last couple of months, Brad had done the same thing at about the same age, only to wait until he was around 13 months or so to really get in a few solo steps.  Well, Brad was supporting Coop's stand as both Brad and I were sitting on the floor, and then all the sudden, I have a happy little man walking toward me - ON HIS VERY OWN!  He got in a good three steps before he reached me and that little feat seemed to satisfy his wanderlust for the moment, so Brad and I just stared at one another in amazement of what we'd just seen.  To everyone else, I'm sure it sounds mundane, but that moment was truly special.  No more solo steps since that day as of yet, but you just never know with this kid.

Coop's check-up went well.  He weighed in at 22 lbs. 3 oz. and they measured his height at about 29 1/4 in.  At this point, I must add the swell of pride that I felt when the mother of an adorable 1-year-old remarked on how big Coop is for his age.  Yes, I realize that there are other children who are of similar age and build, but please forgive me for still being as proud of him as if his growth was a singular sort of feat.  I could have hugged the nurse who joked about his D-1 prospect potential, because you see I eat that sort of stuff up! 

No comments: