Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Early Rising

So the past couple days have been really interesting as I have been rolling out of bed and into my running clothes well before I'd previously even THOUGHT of doing so - thanks of course to the end of daylight savings time.  While I would technically have most all day to get my runs in, it is nice to think that I get it out of the way while my hubby gets ready for work and the wee man sleeps.  Having said that...  HOLY COW, IT'S COLD!  Now as I've mentioned before, I really enjoy running when it's cold, but I can't help but doubt my own sanity for running when it's near freezing.  Of course, if I do wind up running in this half-marathon in Oxford...  I need to be prepared for these temps as I can well remember how bloomin' cold it was on campus as I'd trek across campus from one class to the next.

I am impressed with how much easier it is to run for longer periods (still like my walk breaks as jogging is still pretty elusive for me)...  While I was dressed in a pretty warm ensemble (5K outfit with a fleece lined headband), the wind was still fairly merciless as it whipped across my cheeks.  It presents an interesting situation: if you continue to run, the wind will be a bit more brutal with you, but if you do rise to the occasion and continue on your quest, you might actually generate a little more warmth - of course, there's no telling how long it will take or if it will happen at all.  I continually opt for the possibility of more warmth, but my sanity is quite frequently called into question as I do.  Which is why it was so fantastic yesterday when the intro of "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz started up...  made me lose my doubts - just let me revel in what a bad ma'am-a jamma I am for taking this new challenge head on. 

Feel so empowered in moments like that.  I mean there's quite a few of the "I'm-getting-my-fanny-handed-to-me" moments, but it's those moments when I feel stronger...  like mentally stronger than I've ever thought possible... that is why I love running.  You can always improve, but it's mostly about just being in the moment.  This from the girl who has always looked forward to the future instead of truly loving where she was at that moment in time.  It's great to have goals, but the journey is just as important as reaching those goals if not more so, because goals can evolve based on the person I am today (person who has been shaped by the journey).  I feel blessed in that knowledge.

No comments: