Thursday, November 04, 2010

Just assume have a cheeseburger...

In case I haven't told you lately, I love food.  In my pursuit of a leaner me, I feel like I'm been able to quell my hunger most of the time with healthier choices.  I mean, where as we used to have a frozen pizza once a week - we might have one a month....  Things like that.  The strange this is...  I don't really miss it.  I mean I know there's plenty of articles to be found on the topic of the snowball effect of healthy eating on a regular basis, but....  for me...  a lover of food...  it just seems weird.  I mean I'll even have days where I have to make myself eat something because nothing really sounds good and I know just going without is completely stupid.  It's weird how things have changed.... 

Several years ago, about the time my hubby and I tied the knot, I was nutso for Mexican food.  In fact, my entire weekend would feel completely flat if I didn't get to eat at a Mexican restaurant AT LEAST once.  If we happened to be up at my in-law's, my mother-in-law and I would even cheerfully knock back a margarita. 

Then, it sort of morphed to going to eat out once a week.  I wasn't as particular about where, but if it was Friday night, we were going out to eat.  It was nice to have a little date night as the rest of the week just always felt so hectic.  I mean it felt like I rarely ever saw my hubby and when I did, we were both generally too tired to talk, except of course for Friday night.  I mean what's more convenient than having someone else worry with the dishes and preparing the food.... just so long as you get to kick back and enjoy...  the conversations with your companion... and of course, the food....

Since I've been staying at home with the wee man, our weekly outings are now generally limited to having lunch with "Daddy" once a week.  Now, it's more about getting to visit with my hubby and/or his co-workers than it is about the food....  It's not that the food is bad.  It's just not the same.

Well, my adventures in Podiatryland have continued since my initial surgery.  Glad to have my bum nail long gone and to have both big toes recovering quite well.  Still treating for the discoloration and what not that have plagued them for a good little while before the surgeries.  While it was really kinda neat to have somewhere to go, to get out of the confines of the house for a while by myself, these biweekly trips have pretty well gotten to the point of being cumbersome... EXCEPT when I get to have lunch with my sister.  She always just brightens my day and I love just getting to share lunch and a wonderful conversation with her.

Given that the conversation will be awesome no matter what, it hasn't mattered where we went to eat - just so long as we got to go.  We've been to several different types of places - deli, Applebee's, Mexican, sushi...  but there was one place that I'd had in the back of my mind... one of those places where you know you cannot go wrong because you know exactly what you will order and just thinking about your entree will make your mouth water if you are so inclined...  namely Mugshots Grill & Bar.  I kept pushing the idea back into what I guess equates to a mental utility closet or something, because I knew it wouldn't come close to being healthy.  I've done fine these last few months... until of course, I discovered my hubby had finally achieved his goal weight after a smorgasbord of unhealthy foods last week (he was out-of-town).  After that, I threw down my gauntlet.  I would actually have an honest to God splurge.  I was tired of minimizing the damage.  I wanted a cheeseburger.  I wanted the best, so my mission was clear: I would have a McDonald from Mugshots.

Now, cheeseburgers are a food category in which several restaurants get a nod.  I mean it's one of those - I eat a burger from my short list of restaurants or one that's homemade and finish with the same thought: "That's the best damn burger I've ever eaten!"  But truth be told, I should be more descriptive about the subcategory in which that particular burger is best, because the Mugshots' McDonald is by far THE best overall in my opinion.  I don't know if it's the ranch dressing, the bacon, the barbecue sauce, the smoked cheddar, the sweet bun, the patty....  Doesn't matter.  Just warms my belly thinking about it.  Ahhh....

So, yesterday I had another wonderful visit with my beautiful sister, but in addition, I walked away with one VERY happy belly after the most calories I think I've consumed in a single sitting in months.  But... I... do... not... CARE!  Take that, LoseIt!  *mu ha ha* 

2 comments:

Marian said...

Oh, my.... does this mean that we won't be having any more margaritas??? That's okay, but, you just need to prepare me. That drink was the ONLY thing that I craved while I was pregnant with my boys....I always celebrated the end of the pregnancy and breast feeding with a tall, cold margarita! Well, I'll just have to settle on going with you on one of your cheeseburger binges....ya hoo!

KJ said...

Shoo wee... do you really think I could go without margaritas for as long as like forever??? LOL Heck no... in fact, next opportunity - I'd love a nice cold one.