Okay, so another lesson has been learned... Walking extra miles on top of any increase in mileage running can be problematic. Brad had been quick to acknowledge that his hip flexor was out of sorts at the beginning of last week, so he took the week off from running to prevent further injury. I, on the other hand, had started feeling some tension in what I suppose is my Achilles tendon perhaps on Monday, but as it got better after I got moving or even when I massaged it a bit after the fact, I shrugged it off as a "no-pain, no-gain" situation. So, I continued with my running normal schedule - well besides the fact that I had to run on the treadmill on Monday and Tuesday due to inclement weather. After my normal rest days on Thursday and Friday, I embarked on my longest run alone Saturday, as I've already mentioned that my husband has far more sense than I. I pushed myself and managed to get a little over 8 miles in the allotted 1 hour 20 minute time frame. However, any bliss I might have felt over this feat was rather short-lived.... mainly because a knot arose just an inch or so above my left heel and walking felt even more painful than it had before.
I was devastated at the mere suggestion my husband made that I must abandon running until my tendon is all healed up as it could take anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple of months, and I'm terrified that I might use this as an excuse to gain weight again (especially as this is an eater's "best" time of year IMO). After some more research, it looks like as long as I cut back on my mileage and my speed, I should be okay. I'll be trying to be a bit more diligent about my post-run stretches, although apparently I have to be mindful not to stretch TOO much or else I'll cause myself more problems. So... that's pretty well it.
As an aside note, I can only wonder if you were as unsurprised as I was by the Surprising Ways You're Gaining Weight? I mean, as far as I can tell, there's very little in the way of new information when it comes to nutrition and what not.... but... seriously? Ugh. For the record, no one will guilt me into eating this Thanksgiving or Christmas.... when I splurge, it's because I want to. If I EVER bring my own entree to a dinner party, you will know I'm insane and should be committed. That's part of the holidays. Yes, there are things you shouldn't eat, BUT if you FREAK OUT about every little thing that goes in your mouth every single day.... it is my firm belief that you have lost your mind (unless of course there's like a medical reason to be so obsessive). These Eat-Clean tips for November 2010 are a bit better, but again, #2 strikes me as a bit psychotic if you bring your own food for your own consumption.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment