Tuesday, May 04, 2010

An Eye on His Eyes

From the day he was born, Coop has had a problem with gunk build-up in and around his eyes.  I recall even asking his pediatrician about it at the time, but he indicated that it was normal and would probably clear up on its own after a couple of days.  But here he is 7 months old and he's still having some problems.

I recall receiving some advice from a very nice gal at my old workplace.  She indicated that her son had the same problem, but their doctor had recommended that they massage his tear ducts and it had worked for them.  I filed the advice away, but, for whatever reason, chose not to start this straightaway.  In retrospect, I suppose I just assumed it would clear up on its own.

At his 4 month check-up, I asked the doc once more about the gunk and he sent us home with some eye drops.    I was instructed to give him a drop or two for those next 3-4 days.  The relief was temporary to say the least - and my goodness, can I just say it's quite difficult to get eye drops in my own eyes, much less a squirming 4 month old?  Ah well....

Then after two months of hounding by various family members, we mentioned it again at his 6 month check-up.  This time we were referred to an ophthalmologist.  When the word "surgery" suddenly came into the conversation about my baby, I yanked that little piece of advice I'd received a couple months earlier.

For the two weeks between the latest check-up and the ophthalmologist appt., I made sure to massage this little boy's tear ducts each day.  When his eyes seemed to produce more than enough tears on a daily basis and the gunk was all but a thing of the past.... I thought we had success and almost canceled the appointment, figuring the doc would think I was just crazy.

However, when we actually met with the doctor, I suddenly became enlightened about what the problem was.  It wasn't that Coop was having problems producing tears - it was the fact that the duct in his nose where his tears would normally drain out is apparently blocked.  Besides the annoying gunk or tears streaming while he's not crying, this can be problematic as his eyes might be more prone to getting infections.  I was relieved that the doctor was not gung-ho on surgery right away, but if he does have to have the surgery, it will take just a few minutes.  Now he will have to be put under, but it will be at the hospital. 

I have been trying to continue with the massaging of the tear ducts on a routine basis, but our next appointment will be on June 7th.  I just hope it will continue to get better.  At any rate, that's an update on the little man's eyes.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I hope the massaging works! Surgery for such a little one is a bit scary. I pray little Coop's tear duct opens up.

KJ said...

Thank you, girlf! I hope so too. The last couple of days have not been quite so promising, but we'll just keep praying.