Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just dragging

Well, today my run intervals were set to increase to 10 minutes, and I made it through my first walk/run cycle without passing out even though I was certainly aware of the spicy V8 I drank just before I headed out. I felt like I was making good time compared to my normal pace - I covered 1.25 miles in 11 minutes, but when it came time to start back up... My legs didn't want to go. I could attribute it to a slight wardrobe malfunction with my, erm, support, but that would be a stretch. I tried to convince myself to take another minute to walk before I picked up speed again, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I really showed myself later though... As punishment, I attempted to do my 20 minutes all over again on the treadmill during the boy's morning nap. My average pace was faster than the one from early this morning, but considering I walked the last 7 minutes of my morning run... I would certainly HOPE a straight up run would be faster.

This leads me to believe that I needed a) to take advantage of my rest day yesterday or b) a cup of coffee.

But tomorrow is another day. And luckily a cross-training day.

As crazy as it might sound, I keep waiting for the day when I just decide that enough's enough and I will go back to being lazy me. I mean I've been pretty good about taking my physical fitness seriously this year, but there are quite a number of years before that which clearly demonstrate my natural tendency to be lazy.

All through school, I wanted to be one of those thin, beautiful girls that everyone seemed to admire. Instead I was just a nerd who played saxophone and was a little overweight. Marching was about the most athletic thing I did at a school where most of the self-proclaimed "popular" kids were generally pretty sporty. I had my fair share of friends, but the kids who hounded me were pretty vocal and persistent. There are days where I still think about some of the things they said.

In that world, I would never have been able to do the things I've done this far, and there's a certain amount of satisfaction I have in knowing that they cannot keep me from being who I'd like to be or doing the things I'd like to do. I have control over my own life. That's empowering.

With that in mind, my friend Jen posted a link to this video on Facebook. It inspired me so that I felt the need to share it as well.



But to leave on a lighter note, I had to share this one from Peyton and a few of his Colt teammates. Too funny.

No comments: